Saturday, October 18, 2008

Warren Buffett Recommends Buying American Stocks

I started this post on October 11th and never got around to finishing it. Fortunately, Warren Buffett himself finished it for me with his op-ed in the New York Times on October 16th. I can't say it any better than he did, so I'm not even going to try. Let me first show you what I wrote, then I'll add a link to Buffett's letter.
"I feel like I need to preface anything I write about investing in stocks with the following disclaimers:


1) You should only invest money you can afford to lose in the stock market

2) You should not have a high allocation to stocks if you are close to retirement

3) You should be prepared to see the value of your holdings drop 50% without worrying


That said, I want to make the following statement: now is a good time to buy stocks. And bonds.


How can I say this, when the markets are at 10 year lows and when we've had the worst week in history? Who am I to contradict the headlines?


Let me put it this way: were you happy buying stocks a year ago, when the market was at its peak and the dow was above 14,000? Chances are, you were. (I wasn't.)


When I see Tiffany & Co. selling for $22 a share.. it makes me happy."
I'm not calling a market bottom, and neither is Buffett. That said, people are now fearful and I'm happier in equities right now (see the three disclaimers above) than I am in anything else.
To see how he finished my post for me, I highly recommend you read Warren Buffett's Op-Ed in the New York Times.


No comments: