Friday, March 28, 2008

New Jersey Housing Prices Fall

I came across a pretty interesting blog recently- http://www.njrereport.com/. It publishes news stories and examples of New Jersey homes being offered well below previous purchase or asking prices (which it refers to as "comp killers" because when they sell for lower prices, they serve as comparisons ("comps") for other homes being sold nearby and therefore drive down prices in an area.) Perhaps the most interesting part of the site is the comments, so be sure to check out the discussions when you're reading posts.

I think the blog is written by a real estate broker in NJ who very correctly called a top in the NJ real estate market in 2005.

It's an interesting read if you're following the real estate market, or if you're in the market to buy a house in NJ (or the northeast in general).

So where am I in the process? I'm still on the sidelines for a first home. I got married in 2005, at or around the top of a real estate bubble in one of the most overpriced areas in the country. I realized it would have been impossible for me to responsibly buy a home at that time, even though people with significantly lower incomes and down payments were doing so all around me. It was very easy to look at the numbers and see that I couldn't afford jack at that time. I posted about this a few times in the past, and I'm still waiting for prices to fall further. The news has been getting more and more encouraging, but prices are still ridiculous. I'm hoping real estate price declines continue, I'm hoping nobody bails out the people who took on mortgages they couldn't afford, and I'm continuing to build my down payment savings in the meantime. I hope to buy sometime in the next couple of years. I'm not worried about "missing a bottom" because I know once real estate prices fall, they don't generally bounce right back up, they tend to stagnate for a while.

How am I going to know when the time is right to buy? First of all, I'm definitely not going to try to pick a bottom. What I am going to do is continue to update my calculations of what my wife and I can afford on one salary, and when something looks both affordable and attractive to me, I'm going to go for it. I'm not too worried because my rent is pretty cheap for the time being. Right now, prices in general are still pretty ridiculous. I either need to save a lot more money, or see prices come down a lot before I really focus on the home buying process.

No comments: